IKEA Play Kitchen Hack

I am so happy this project is finished! AB and I have talked about getting Addison a play kitchen for a few months now but knew we wanted it to be extra special. There really wasn’t anything out on the market that caught our eye but thanks to Pinterest, I got the brilliant idea to do a fairly simple IKEA hack. If you’ve ever put together anything from IKEA, you know it can be a little daunting with the millions of pieces, but I have to say this one was really easy! The hardest part was just deciding how we wanted to design it. We tossed around the idea of making it very gender neutral and going with a gray + wood combination but ultimately decided to keep it crisp and white with girly gold accents. Marble countertops and a subway tile back splash, Addison officially a nicer kitchen than us…even if it’s only 4 feet tall! Just wait till you scroll to the bottom to see what a transformation it was!

We started by spray painting all the pieces a glossy white. Although some of the boards came white, we wanted to be sure they’d all match. I then used gold spray paint to paint all the handles, leg caps, cooking utensils, kitchen sink and faucet and stove top border.

The next step was to apply the marble contact paper to the countertop. I was worried this would be difficult to do but with the help of a credit card to smooth out the bubbles and a hairdryer to help make the edges stretch, it was much easier than I anticipated! After that, I created a backsplash using a foam poster board and peel-and-stick subway tiles. I simply measured the back of the kitchen to cut the poster board down to the right size and stuck the tiles on. I added a little hot glue to the edges and attached the board directly to the back of the kitchen.

The last step was to assemble! AB and I spent less than 1 hour putting it all together and added a couple extra touches like a touch light to illuminate the kitchen in the dark, some pots and pans and a dish towel. I added a couple extra decor items just to style for these pictures. Addison already had some toys foods that are tucked away behind the cabinet doors.

Overall, we are so happy with how this turned out and know she will get many years of playtime with this kitchen. I love that unlike her other toys, it fits in our home so perfectly like a new piece of furniture. It makes my heart so happy to think about all the fun and imaginary play she and her cousin will have over the next few years!

20 comments
Add a comment...

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

• OliviaMarch 5, 2018 - 8:28 am

Wow, amazing job! I’m wondering how many sheets of tiles you needed? Thanks ReplyCancel

• Paige BaranikMarch 5, 2018 - 5:18 pm

Thank you! I believe the pack I ordered came with 4 or 5 sheets and I had to cut them up to fit my board dimensions. I almost used the entire pack!ReplyCancel

• JanieMay 10, 2018 - 4:25 am

Love this! I was wondering how much contact paper you needed to cover the counter top. Thanks!ReplyCancel

• JenniferJune 15, 2018 - 3:47 pm

Wow I love this!  I actually just ordered the kitchen and materials to mirror our kitchen with granite and subway tiles.  I ordered the Art3D ones before I saw this post.  Wish me luck ! ReplyCancel

• DaraJune 22, 2018 - 6:30 pm

I love this! What size foam board did you use?ReplyCancel

• Paige BaranikJune 23, 2018 - 2:47 am

Thank you! It was a standard sized poster board that I had to cut down to the correct size to fit the back!ReplyCancel

• JillJuly 7, 2018 - 12:30 am

Love this! Did you use two cans of white spray paint or one? Attempting this weekend! Thanks!ReplyCancel

• StephanieJuly 9, 2018 - 8:13 pm

How did you connect the poster board to the back of the kitchen?ReplyCancel

• Paige BaranikJuly 11, 2018 - 12:51 am

I just used a hot glue gun and went around the edges of the poster board and then stuck the board right to the back of the kitchen! Worked out great!ReplyCancel

• BexJuly 10, 2018 - 11:12 am

Wow looks great. Did you sand down all the wood before priming?ReplyCancel

• Paige BaranikJuly 11, 2018 - 12:52 am

Thanks! Nope, I didn’t do any priming. The spray paint I used went on smoothly!ReplyCancel

• BrittanyJuly 16, 2018 - 1:00 am

Where did you get that hand towel from?!  And also the kitchen utensils?ReplyCancel

• Paige BaranikJuly 17, 2018 - 12:47 am

That hand towel was actually purchased a couple years ago when there was the Lilly Pulitzer for Target sale! All the kitchen utensils were purchased from IKEA.ReplyCancel

• DianeJuly 16, 2018 - 10:24 pm

What is the brand of subway tiles that you used? Are they actual backsplash tiles?  Thanks!ReplyCancel

• Paige BaranikJuly 17, 2018 - 12:51 am

I purchased a pack of stick on tiles from Amazon. There is a direct link to the product in the blog post or you can just search for Tic Tac Tiles and search for the peel and stick 3D wall tile. There should be an option for one pack that includes 5 sheets of tile.ReplyCancel

• TracieJuly 28, 2018 - 1:18 am

Love this! Did you just paint the front of the boards or both sides?ReplyCancel

• Paige BaranikJuly 30, 2018 - 3:26 pm

Thanks! I only painted both sides of the boards located on the top half of the kitchen. They are really the only ones visible from both sides.ReplyCancel

• CarolineAugust 5, 2018 - 6:25 pm

Can I ask, how well has the gold spray paint held up with being played with? Do you need to retouch it often? ReplyCancel

• Paige BaranikAugust 6, 2018 - 2:00 pm

The gold spray paint has definitely held up everywhere except the utensils. I have had to retouch them since completing this project.ReplyCancel